Clearblue offers a range of pregnancy tests, all of which detect the clinically proven urinary pregnancy marker – human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) to provide accurate and trusted results.
- Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown
- Clearblue Rapid Detection Pregnancy Test
- Flip & Click Pregnancy Test
How hCG is used to detect pregnancy
The hormone hCG is produced in the earliest stages of pregnancy. During early pregnancy it plays a role in survival of the corpus luteum1 and has a significant role in the implantation of the blastocyst and protection of the embryo against immune attack at the fetal/maternal boundary. The hormone is initially produced by the embryo and therefore acts as a marker for its presence.2
Levels of hCG rise rapidly and predictably in the earliest days of pregnancy3 and it usually first appears in urine 8-10 days (range 6-12 days) following the estimated day of conception when using the most sensitive laboratory assays.4 The levels of hCG in early pregnancy have also been found to be highly similar between women.4 This makes hCG an ideal urinary marker for quickly and accurately assessing whether a woman is pregnant or not.
Clearblue Pregnancy Tests can be used up to 5 days before the missed period
Published literature shows that hCG levels reach at least 50 milli-International Units per milliliter (mIU/ml) on the day a pregnant woman's period is expected.5-7 If a Clearblue Pregnancy Test is used on the day of the expected period, it is more than 99% accurate at detecting pregnancy.8 The high sensitivity of the Clearblue Pregnancy Test also means that pregnancy can be detected up to 5 days before the missed period. The graph below shows a typical rise in urinary hCG from the first detection of pregnancy.
Reference ranges for urinary intact hCG for each day of pregnancy
*From calculated day of ovulation (LH surge +1 day)
Median, 10th and 90th centiles shown. Data from 109 UK volunteers7
Not all pregnant women who test before the day of their expected period will obtain a 'pregnant' result. This is because urinary hCG levels may not yet be above the threshold for the test.
All Clearblue Pregnancy Tests are rigorously tested using early pregnancy urine samples from women whose luteinizing hormone (LH) surge day is known and from which the day of expected period can be reliably estimated.7 Using these samples it is possible to assess the proportion of pregnant women expected to have sufficient hCG levels in their urine sample to generate a 'Pregnant' result, on each day with respect to the day of the expected period. If women choose to test early with Clearblue Pregnancy Tests, the likelihood of detecting pregnancy before the day of the expected period is clearly displayed in the product packaging. Clearblue advises any woman who tests and gets a ‘Not Pregnant’ result, but still suspects pregnancy, should test again on the day she expects her period, if she tested early, or in a further 3 days if her period is overdue.
Clearblue tests are over 99% accurate from the day of the expected period8
At Clearblue we believe that consumers need a result they can be confident in and act on, and therefore we provide pregnancy test products that are over 99% accurate at detecting pregnancy from the day of the expected period.8
Digital results for greater accuracy in consumers’ hands
The Clearblue DIGITAL Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown contains an optical reader which provides clear digital results in words thereby eliminating the human error that can occur when reading traditional line tests.9.
The Clearblue DIGITAL Pregnancy Test with Smart Countdown also features a unique progress indicator (Smart Countdown) to reassure the user the test is working and indicate when they can expect the result to appear. It features the following important benefits:
- It is the only pregnancy test that counts down to the result
- It is over 99% accurate from the day of expected period8
- It contains a wide ‘no mess’, absorbent tip and integrated Floodguard™ Technology to help reduce the #1 reported usage error10
- It is sensitive enough to be used up to 5 days before the missed period11
- It provides a simple result in words: 'Pregnant' or 'Not Pregnant' for greater accuracy in consumers’ hands.9
Visual signs give consumers confidence
Over 30 years of consumer research has given Clearblue an exceptional understanding of our consumers’ needs, allowing us to develop the next step in visual home pregnancy tests. Not only is the Clearblue Rapid Detection Pregnancy Test over 99% accurate at detecting pregnancy hormone, but it is also easy to use. The innovative Clearblue Rapid Detection Pregnancy Test offers many important benefits:
- It provides an easy-to-read pregnant (+) result from 1 minute when used from the day of missed period. The user should wait 3 minutes to confirm a not pregnant (-) result
- It is over 99% accurate8
- It has an ergonomic handle, designed to make the Clearblue Rapid Detection Pregnancy Test easy to use
- Its Color Change Tip helps women to perform the test more easily
- Its integrated Floodguard™ Technology helps women to use the test correctly
- 1 Baird DD, Weinberg CR, McConnaughey DR, Wilcox AJ. Rescue of the corpus luteum in human pregnancy. Biol Reprod 2003 Feb;68(2):448–56.
- 2 Perrier d’Hauterive S, Berndt S, Tsampalas M, Charlet-Renard C, Dubois M, Bourgain C, et al. Dialogue between blastocyst hCG and endometrial LH/hCG receptor: which role in implantation? Gynecol Obstet Invest 2007;64(3):156–60
- 3 Nepomnaschy PA, Weinberg CR, Wilcox AJ, Baird DD. Urinary hCG patterns during the week following implantation. Hum Reprod 2008 Feb;23(2):271–7.
- 4 Wilcox AJ, Baird DD, Weinberg CR. Time of implantation of the conceptus and loss of pregnancy. N Engl J Med 1999 Jun 10;340(23):1796–9.
- 5 Lenton EA, Neal LM, Sulaiman R. Plasma concentrations of human chorionic gonadotrophin from the time of implantation until the second week of pregnancy. Fertil Steril 1982 Jun;37(6):773–8.
- 6 Chard T. Pregnancy tests: a review. Hum Reprod 1992 May;7(5):701–10.
- 7 Gnoth C. and Johnson S. Strips of Hope: Accuracy of Home Pregnancy Tests and New Developments. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd 2014;74(7):661–669.
- 8 Data on file. Clearblue tests are 99% accurate at detecting typical pregnancy hormone levels. Note that hormone levels vary. See insert
- 9 Tomlinson C, Marshall J, Ellis JE. Comparison of accuracy and certainty of results of six home pregnancy tests available over-the-counter. Curr Med Res Opin 2008 Jun;24(6):1645–9
- 10 Vs. our previous visual test design. Based on calls to Helpline throughout 2010 & 2014.
- 11 SPD data on file. Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test can be used as early as 5 days before the missed period (4 days before the expected period). The amount of pregnancy hormone increases rapidly in early pregnancy. In clinical testing, Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test detected the pregnancy hormone in 51% of women when testing 5 days before their missed period (4 days before the expected period), 82% at 3 days before the expected period, 90% at 2 days before the expected period and 95% at one day before the expected period.
Always read full instruction leaflet of product before use. This material is intended for healthcare professionals only. It is for general information only with no warranties, representations or undertakings, express or implied, and does not constitute medical advice. It may refer to products not yet registered or approved in a given country. Please ask your local pharmacist or SPD contact for products available in your country. Product images are for illustration only. Clearblue is a trademark of SPD Swiss Precision Diagnostics GmbH (“SPD”). © 2016 SPD (except for any third party content identified as such). All rights reserved.